Sunday, May 1, 2011

Welcome to India



So the first 24 hours in a country are always quite enlightening. Here are some things I've learned:
  1. Always have the address of the place you are trying to go. (We may not have written down our hotel address so it took our taxi driver a long time to find it and we got here at about 1:30am last night.)
  2. Even when you have the address of the place you're trying to go, there's no guarantee anyone knows what the address means. (We may have been a bit late to church today, but we did finally find it.)
  3. When people say that everyone in India speaks English, they're lying. (And when people do speak English, it often doesn't sound like it.)
  4. "Mild" here doesn't mean the same thing it does when you're ordering Indian food in America.
  5. We will be lucky if we're never involved in a transportation accident. (There's pretty much only one rule in Delhi traffic - do whatever you want.)
  6. I'm SO grateful Carl's here. I would not like being here by myself. (Carl is my classmate that is working at ekgaon with me.)
  7. Jet lag between countries that have an 11 hour and 30 minute time difference is a nightmare. (And yeah, I know... 30 minutes?!? Who decided that?)
  8. The Church has the same spirit everywhere. And I love it.
  9. There are a lot of things I take for granted in my life.
  10. This is going to be an awesome experience.
So as you can tell, I've already learned a lot. :-) I'm really excited to be here and get to work. Carl and I have a lot to do and it's going to be great!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Agreed -- going half-way around the world means craaaaazy jet-lag! Hong Kong was super-duper awesome, and I have a feeling that traffic in China comes close to the insanity that Delhi traffic must be. I feared for my life anytime I was within 20 feet of a highway, and thought I would never get clean from the pollution. Sound familiar? :)

wilsmex said...

Great and all, but can we get an update on the orphans!! Sheeeze.

Peg said...

glad to see you're still smiling!

Janessa said...

You look awesome in your pics! I remember what Hong Kong humidity did to my hair...bad things. Actually a lot of what you said is true of China too and makes me wish I was back there! Have so much fun and good luck with crazy drivers and too-spicy food!

Unknown said...

So excited to read all about your trip! Thanks for the email... MISS YOU!