Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gratitude

Humayan's Tomb


So Carl and I have been here for awhile. Each day I love India more and miss home more. It's an interesting experience. I was really excited to get to Mumbai and experience a different city and see how life in a more "Westernized" city is. Once we got to the airport and saw Mumbai I was excited. The city seemed cleaner and the two people we talked to spoke English pretty well. Plus it's the home of Bollywood. It was going to be great.

We showed up at our hostel which was very different from what it looked like online, but it was manageable. However, it didn't look like it was in a very good part of the city. I blamed it on the fact that it was 1:00am and decided it would be better the next day. The next morning, Carl and I found out that the hostel didn't have breakfast and it really wasn't in a great part of town. And, in the day you can tell that Mumbai is still a pretty dirty city, too. We spent awhile trying to get a taxi to church but no one would take us (it was kind of far). After a bit we trekked across the street to McDonalds for breakfast. (Side note, I've had more McDonald's in the past two weeks than I have in the past 5 years put together, probably. And it's nasty.) As we were eating, I started feeling like, "Can I really handle 5 more days of this?" I'm so tired of not eating well and the communication barriers. We left and kept looking for a taxi (I was praying with all my heart we would find a way to get to church). And we did. As we were driving through the city, which is crowded and polluted, I missed home really badly. Then we had trouble finding the church. We walked in really late, just as they announced the closing hymn, but it didn't matter - it felt SO good. And we got to go to Sunday School and Relief Society. During church we met a wonderful lady from Alpine, Debby Dickens, who offered us a ride home, saving us $15 and a harrowing experience.

When we pulled up the hostel she said, "This is where you're staying?! No, you're coming home with me. Go get your stuff and check out. I don't want you staying here." So, we did. Now Carl and I are situated VERY comfortably in a beautiful apartment with Debby. (Her husband is in Germany and will be home Thursday before we leave). She gave us tuna fish sandwiches, apples, and juice for lunch. I almost cried. It feels so good here. She's wonderful.

I'm grateful to the Lord for answering prayers about getting to church.
I'm grateful to the Lord for the good feeling at church.
I'm grateful to the Lord for comforting in response to unspoken prayers.
I'm grateful to the Lord for prompting people to touch my life.
I'm grateful to righteous people who answer those promptings and sacrifice for others.
I'm grateful for experiences like this that remind me that He's watching out.
I'm grateful for international experiences that help me grow and love life.
I'm grateful for tuna fish sandwiches, apples, and juice.


Thank you, Debby, for sharing your home and your love.

4 comments:

Peg said...

Wow! Please tell Debbie that I'm more grateful than she'll ever know (unless she's a mom and then she may understand).

Ashley said...

You are too cute! Way to be way more adventuresome than I would ever dare to be!

Lewieg said...

Great post and some of the best Sunday reading I've done all day (Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi knocked me out after lunch). You are a quality human being and I look forward to subsequent posts!

When do you guys get back and, more importantly, when are you going to come see us in Seattle?

Brandon and Alesha said...

I have loved reading all of your posts! Hope to be able to see you and your mom on your way to Seattle!