Thursday, September 13, 2007

Technology

I am a perfectionist. A recovering perfectionist, that is. As a result of my desire to excel in my endeavors, I have had marvelous opportunities, expanded my intellect, and done good in others' lives. However, perfectionism has also created undue stress and unbalance in my life. My greatest attribute has been, at times, my most undesirable quality. Technology affects the world in a likewise manner. It has allowed for some of the greatest advances of mankind: global communication, cutting-edge research at our fingertips, and expanded social networks. It has also created some tragic lifestyles. The key to technology use, and life in general, is self-control. The wealth of information available on the internet is a goldmine as well as a quicksand trap, depending on how we use it. We may encounter limited privacy or access to malignant information, but we are individually free to choose what we will do in negative situations. Like learning to overcome bad habits, each of us must be responsible for our own use or misuse of the opportunities available.

No comments: